Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Look For Less: Black and White Bedroom from High Gloss

I remember when I first saw this bedroom designed by Sally Wheat in the premier issue of High Gloss Magazine.  Immediately, I thought to myself, this is so ME.  This style really speaks to my aesthetic - the classic elements and use of black and white, hello!  I soon began to think about how I could recreate this look for myself.


As I mentioned, there are so many fantastic elements to this room.  I love the stacked ball lamps, the abstract art and the statement ceiling light.  The neutral headboard and elegant sheets are a perfect compliment to these focal pieces.  Throw in some fun accessories like books, fresh flowers and a lumbar pillow and the design is complete.

Here is my version (on a budget no less):


Gray walls are a great base for any room.  My favorite gray is Silver Tradition by Behr.  Next, I selected a headboard from Nate Berkus' HSN line.  I actually like it better than the original one because it has great structure and nail head trim.  I picked out two sets of sheets, one set that accommodates a small budget and one set that is more of a splurge.  If I am going to SPLURGE on one item in a bedroom it will most definitely be the sheets.  One item that I decided to SKIMP on were the nightstands.  These were only $60 and you could easily change out the hardware and add some gold trim to get a high end look.  The paintings on the nightstand are fantastic.  Personally, I would paint my own version, but if you are not artistically inclined, go with the link below.  The stacked ball lamps I chose were only $30 a piece.  I can't vouch for their quality but I know that ebay and pier 1 usually have similar versions that you could try as well.  I went right to ZGallerie's website to select a chandelier because I adore their lighting.  This one in particular is so reflective and would be a focal point in the room.  To accessorize, I pulled in a lumbar pillow from etsy, a stack of books (from your home library) and some fresh flowers from the market.  Here are the links to my sources:

Gray Paint - Price varies $3 for a sample
Headboard - $450
Sheets or Sheets - $225 or $58
Painting - $35
Lamps - $30

-MLL

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you did a fantastic job with this "look for less!" I love it. Those Overstock sheets are a steal...might have to get in on that!

    ReplyDelete