Monday, January 31, 2011

Hemnes Dresser Makeover

I had a little time over the weekend to update some things in our bedroom, first being our dresser.  We have a white Hemnes dresser from Ikea.  We aren't really in love with it but it works with the rest of the room and it probably won't be replaced for awhile.  It's a bit plain and I felt like it was adding nothing to the room, so I knew it was time to do something.  I considered some new hardware, but I hadn't found anything I loved before I came up with a super easy, inexpensive way for an update.  So, with a little paint and blue tape, I took this:


to this!


It was so easy...

First, I started taping off the drawers.  I used 1" blue painters tape.  The 1" size really helped me accomplish this makeover in a timely manner because I wanted the gray rectangles to be inset from the drawer edges by exactly 1".  I taped the outside of the drawers quickly and then measured 1" from each side to mark where the inner tape should go.  I then taped the inner rectangle, more carefully than the outer one since the edges need to be more precise.



 To achieve perfect corners, I trimmed the tape with a scissors.




I was very happy to finish the taping process because it was the most tedious part.  It doesn't take more than an hour though.


 Next, I used a shade of gray paint and a small roller to paint the rectangles.


 I then carefully pulled off the tape while the paint was still wet and left it to dry.

Honestly, these photos don't even do the dresser justice because it looks really great in the room.


 You could easily do this in any color and it would be a great update to a basic bedroom staple!  Now, on to painting the walls - finally!

-MLL

7 comments:

  1. Morgan, you are right, it is even more impressive in person. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks incredible! Amazing what a little time and effort can do! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love a good DIY. It has more depth now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!I imagine the taping was pretty tedious. Did you have to prime or anything before the gray paint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous! I have the same dresser and I've been trying to think of some way to jazz it up... this could be it!

    ReplyDelete