Wednesday, January 5, 2011

JA's Happy Chic Accessorizing

One of the gifts I received this Holiday was Jonathan Adler's Book,  Happy Chic Accessorizing


Peter's parents were recently in New York and picked up a copy for me.  Although it wasn't just any copy, because it was signed by JA himself!


The book is awesome because along with revealing design tips, Jonathan helps his readers discover their personal style.  So, I thought I'd share some tips from the book with you from time to time.

Today's Tip:
"Float" furnishings in the center of a room.  The space with feel more open and less obscured.

Now, this is a basic design tactic that designers follow, but I thought it might be helpful to some of you.  Instead of lining your walls with furniture, try something fun and funky like Jonathan did here.



It's great to play around with the layout of a room too, so don't feel like if you've moved your sofa once, you're stuck. Try it on an angle or facing a window, etc.  The possibilities are endless when it comes to moving around furniture and accessories.

-MLL

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to pick his book up. You must do an indepth post on your favorite pages. I will say Ive been eyeing his C.Jere raindrops sculpture for quite some time now.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tip is so true. Recently I was staring around my home office thinking I had to throw everything out and start over again, but just by changing the placement of all the furniture (and floating my desk!), the room is completely different.

    Hope you are feeling better today, Morgan!

    ReplyDelete